Part 6: Glacier to home

 7/25 after a long drive from havre I made it to camper got set up. And then I told myself that the evening event at many glaciers that I wanted to listen to was tonight- It wasn't tonight it was for the 26th, But I drove all 2 1/2 hours out there which I had to drive all 2 1/2 hours home so an extra five hours of driving after a long drive day we got to my tent ate my dinner and probably went to bed. I do have a wonderful time lapse video of the entire going to the sun road west east.


7/26. No, I did not attend the lecture tonight too much driving already. Today I went up till Logan pass, Waited about 30 minutes to find a parking spot but did, And proceeded to do the hidden lake, overlook hike. The worst part of which is actually the Boardwalk stairs. Once you get past those, it's fine. And very doable within the Logan passes Three hour parking time limit. I even had enough leftover time to sit in the back of my car eat some food and enjoy the views. 

After that I went out to a local distillery for a flight and a cocktail. 




7/27 Red bus tour day

When I was in Yellowstone a few years ago, I did a sightseeing bus tour and it was great because I got to be a passenger and enjoy the things that I otherwise miss because I'm paying attention to roads. I got to sit in the front seat of the red bus, and the driver gave wonderful information about the remaining glaciers in the park how the different outcroppings were formed and other historical information about the park itself. While we were driving the same route that I've done this day before I saw things I hadn't seen from my perspective I would never have seen them from so as a solo traveler, I will continue to do park tours in larger parks like this so I can really appreciate them.  




After the tour, I drove down the lake McDonald Lakefront about 8 miles a little bit before the lake McDonald Lodge turn off, found a spot to pull in took my food and my camp chair and sat by the water for lunch.  I went back to the same spot for dinner. It's nice to find quiet, peaceful places in a park. That's so crowded.






7/28 Three Falls Trail

I'd originally intended on doing avalanche today, but I didn't wake up in time, So I did this instead, and I am so grateful that I did. At 6.5 miles It's a little bit longer than what I've planned on but again absolutely worth it to see all three waterfalls.  

The trail is predominantly in a burnt out part of the park so you will be without shade cover For 2/3 of the trail. Pack water put on sunscreen wear a hat. Also make sure you bear spray because you are in grizzly country, and I ran across some grizzly scat And that's close enough for me.  

After my long hike and the hour and a half drive back into town, I took myself out for a huckleberry shake and an elk burger, There are two places here in West glacier that claim to be the original huckleberry Bakers today I had one- Huckland I will have the other tomorrow and I'll let you know which one's worth it. 

After what was essentially dinner I went back to camp. I got cleaned up because I was covered in dirt and sweat and needed to feel clean.

After I got clean, I wasn't quite ready for bed so I went to a local dive bar had a couple drinks. Talked with some really great people and came back to the tent. I went to bed.

7/29

I got up SUPER early this morning or more I actually got out of my tent when the train woke me up.  I was in the park by 6:15am and at the Avalanche trail head by 6:45 and I still got one of the last 4 parking spots (out of probably 100).  It is a much more heavily trafficked trail than Three falls but it was also a lot shadier.  I wore a puffy and shorts to start, but even though it was in the high 50s I worked up a sweat and was quickly in a tank and shorts. 


It took me a little under an hour to get out to the lake and around 40 minutes to hike back. All in all about 2.5 hours The only problem is that meant I was really done with my desires for the day by 10am.  I went to my lake spot for about an hour before trying Huckleberry patch to compare them with the other huckleberry location. 

Unfortunately there was not a clear winner. Yesterday's Huckleberry Land had in my opinion a better Elk Burger but Huckleberry Patch had a far superior shake. So I guess it depends on what matters to you. 

After lunch I tried to take a nap- to no avail as it was too hot. I went back to the Distillery from earlier in the week and surprised myself as I fell in love with the Absinthe cream-Enchanted Forest. So I got a bottle to take home- I think it will be great over Ice cream. 

Finally I ended my last day by taking myself out to a steak dinner in Kalispell at Mercantile Steak.  My steak was wonderful and my company at the bar was better.  Ended up next to a father and daughter who are from the town my ex husband grew up in.  They thankfully don't know my exes family but were wonderful to converse with and even let me share dessert with them. 




7/30 

Damn sprinkler- that I specifically set up my tent to avoid went off this morning and drenched my tent right before I was set to take it down and pack up. So less than ideal.  I got on the road pretty early focusing on taking highway 2 to Spokane.  But somewhere between Kalispell and Libby my eyes were getting heavy and honestly I needed to pull off the road.  

I stopped at Happy's Inn and am glad I did.  I had originally just planned to get coffee but the breakfast menu called my name and I had blueberry french toast with sausage and a very large cup of coffee.   I cleaned my plate, left a tip and was back on the road. 

Made it through the Idaho panhandle and into Spokane where I stopped for much needed starbucks and I place to work for awhile as my last Airbnb is a late check in. 

Comments

Popular Posts