Roadtrip Part 4: The Cities

Home in Minneapolis/St. Paul and Surrounding communities from July 12-21st 

The 12th was honestly a super low key day- got in around 3pm did laundry took a shower, napped had dinner, had an allergy attack to my mom's dog took another shower and settled in for the night. The bed is super comfy- I have my pillow I know I'll sleep well tonight

Highlight of the 13th was taking my mom out to dinner at a local spot we both enjoy, though we went a little heavy on the fried food, we had fun. I was still really exhausted this day. 

High of the 14th was hanging out in Wayzata with my childhood best friend. Low of the 14th was the fact my shins and feet got horribly sunburnt because I loose track of time and forgot to reapply. I paid for this dearly for the rest of the trip.  My evening was spent tending to burns, collapsing from heat exhaustion and sleeping. 

On the 15th mom and I did a walk about in a local mall because it was super hot and we picked up some new dishes for her and some treats for my friends kids who I saw later in the day.  My college besties married each other and have 3 wonderful children. I got a great dose of them and time to catch up with friends a little at a returned favorite Dangerous Man Brewing. Different owner, same brewer involved same favorites new location. Great pizza next door too.  My later evening was spent curled up on the couch with my mom's dog Roxie. 






On the 16th I switched over to my dads place.  Dad and I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA) as they had a special exhibit on art and politics of 20th century Germany.  A time period and location my father and I both enjoy. Unfortunately for those reading this that exhibit is now gone, but they have a new special exhibit on fashion coming this fall and winter that I look forward to seeing at the holidays. 










On the 17th Mom and I took in the Weisman art museum on the U of M campus. While small it was the perfect size for something to do with her, we then went and got coffee/tea and a really good donut at a local coffee shop in the Highland Park Neighborhood. 

I rested in the mid day and in the afternoon made my way over to Harriet Island for Minnesota Yacht Club a 3 day festival. Today's highlights for me were Dashboard Confessionals and The Black Keys. I left during the Lumineers set for 3 reasons 1- So much Weed being smoked I was overwhelmed 2- so many people pushing forward I was overwhelmed and 3- lightening.  Thankfully my dad was willing to pick me up because the busses were delayed to the point of being canceled and 2 Lyfts canceled on me. 


The 18th was a very special day. The once 3 year old that I cared for, played dress up with, cheered on and watched grow into a beautiful 27 year old bride got married today.  She was stunning and truly had a fairytale day.  Both she and her husband do musical theatre as do many of their friends and family SO it was a very festive evening. 







The 19th was ANOTHER concert day.  But first we Brunch. The parents of the bride hosted a brunch for the morning after, and while a trek from St. Paul I absolutely made it out to get more time with people I truly consider family. 

In the afternoon I got ice cream with my Brother for National Ice Cream Day.  We visited Edina Creamery for some pricey but tasty ice cream, and then I headed out to the final festival day.  

On today's schedule was the band behind the first CD I ever owned- Feeling Strangely Fine by Semisonic, a college favorite - Atmosphere and a newer pleasure- Cage The Elephant.  The Strokes were the headliners tonight, but I didn't make it that long. 

You see Cage the Elephant had flames, and I was close to the stage (see picture) so between the heat of the day (over 90), the humidity, the flames and being packed close to the stage I ended up 1. Embarrassed and 2. In the Medical tent. 

The 20th I was not well. I had the left over feelings and sickness from what was clearly heat exhaustion, my sunburned legs were really hurting and I found it hard to get comfortable--apparently when you have a bad burn fluids pool in your legs and feet and make everything worse. So any time I've spent sitting at home last night and today my legs have been elevated to try to help. 

I didn't really get out of bed until after 11 and only got dressed and going because I had promised to take my brother mini golfing- so thanks Sam for giving me a reason to not stay in bed all day. 

Sam won the front 9 and I won the back 9 and it made for a fun afternoon. It was a very different way to play- the goal was to get the most points, there were hazards and bonuses and ways to get extra points, and the wholes were all very interactive and interesting. I'd recommend it if you are near a Puttshack. 

My family and I (yes both my parents) Sam and I went out for dinner at Buca  before I leave tomorrow. It's a pretty long standing tradition at this point that my last meal in town is here. We all like it, its close enough for everyone to get to and it's family style which works for us when it comes to pasta and salad- Also they've got a really nice White Sangria. 

So yep- I head out tomorrow. I'll still be in Minnesota for another day- but it will look different and be something totally new to me. 


So Thanks Minneapolis, St. Paul and Wayzata for a great trip home- til next time

Claire





Comments

Popular Posts